Mondays in my new job are meant to be a "work at/from home" day, for reading and writing, but thus far there have been appointments on all of them.
Today, not so. I am staying home. I have two books to read (not sure which will be the priority yet). I'm going to take a walk. The dogs will be glad of company.
I'm going to think back on my birthday yesterday and remember:
- The lowest weight I've seen on the scale in many, many years
- Dancing with Danny, from our Achievers Class (for mentally handicapped adults) even though he held my wrists a little tight
- Communion with the Achievers
- The congregation singing Happy Birthday during announcements
- My friend, Questing Parson, and his lovely wife, visiting from faraway Georgia
- A little fellow who pretended to like the crust of the bread during the Children's Message
- Church President asking if I wanted to "get my wrists on" (meaning the splints) before shaking hands
- Wee gifts from church members: a May basket, a crochet table topper, daffodils from the garden that I placed on the pulpit
- Pure Luck singing Happy Birthday on the phone, beautifully
- The Princess and her Blonde Cousin and all the other girls who did such a beautiful job at their concert
- Guitar Boy standing waiting for The Princess with a bouquet of carnations
- Hands so sore from clapping that I could not type this last night
- Sam's foot bandage (he has an infection) loose on the floor, looking like a disembodied paw from a horror story
- I didn't say these were all charming
- Countless birthday messages via email, comments, Facebook wall, Superpoke and text messages
- Applebee's Carside to Go with The Princess, eaten while watching "John Adams" (Don't tell my Southern relatives how much I did John and Abigail, okay? I promise I still love Thomas Jefferson.)
- A phone call from Snowman (although he still hasn't told me about how Morp, the Land o' Lakes prom, went last Sunday)
- And finally, a phone call from #1 Son, who is only three weeks away from college graduation, ack!
- (Possibly also homemade toffee, but it's a new day, and we will not speak of it)
The sun is shining here again. I'm picturing myself at the Star$$$ for a very nice cup of coffee and some reading time in the window. What are you up to today?