As posted by yours truly at RevGalBlogPals:
Yes, it’s true. I’ve been watching Season Six of American Idol with my daughter, our first time dipping into this particular well of pop culture. In the spirit of believing you can do anything, as the auditioners so clearly do, please fill in the following five blanks.
1) If I could sing like anyone, it would be Mary Travers of Peter, Paul and Mary.
When I was a little girl, my daddy bought two of their albums, which I listened to over and over for years. I remember reading something on the liner notes that compared her voice to a cello. I’ve always loved their harmonies, and it would be fun to sing like her. A close second would be Jearlyn Steele, who sings on a favorite radio show (see more below).
2) I would love to sing the song _________________.
3) It would be really cool to sing at ____________.
4) If I could sing a dream duet it would be with ___________.
5) If I could sing on a TV or radio show, it would be __________________.
These are all connected. I would love to sing with Garrison Keillor on A Prairie Home Companion, at the Fitzgerald Theatre. There are many, many songs I have enjoyed hearing him sing (especially "What’ll I Do" in a duet with Meryl Streep on the most recent 4th of July show), but my all-time favorite, in which he led the whole audience, had to be "Abide With Me." I have a soft spot for old-fashioned hymns.
You don’t have to be a RevGal to play the Friday Five; I hope you’ll join in!