Thanks to reverendmother, my new Friday Five partner, for this one:
1. Describe a memorable conference, retreat, workshop or convention you’ve attended.
I had a wonderful time at the New England Association of United Church Educators meeting two years ago, at Craigville Conference Center on Cape Cod.
2. Tell us about a memorable speaker or preacher you’ve heard.
The keynoter at Craigville was Rev. Dr. Mary Luti, formerly a professor at Andover Newton and now a UCC pastor. I knew she was a wonderful presenter from my experiences in seminary. It was an absolute treat to hear her speak to this conference of pastors, Christian Ed professionals and lay educators. Her talks were lively and included a great deal of music. I will never forget singing “It’s That Old Ship of Zion” under her leadership! It puts a smile on my face tonight. It was also moving to hear her speak of the conflict between her strong feelings against the Iraq War and the knowledge that her brother is part of the Bush Defense Department.
3. Do you attend all of the scheduled events, or play hooky? If the latter, what do you do with your free time?
I have been known to play hooky at conferences and meetings, but not on retreats. If I am playing hooky, it is either to shop at some book display, to get a breath of air, or to talk with someone fascinating.
4. Do you like having a roommate or would you rather have a room to yourself?
5. What’s the most exotic location you’ve conferenced or retreated?
I’ve never been anywhere exotic, but my favorite retreat center is Adelynrood in Massachusetts. It is an incredibly peaceful place.
But maybe Atlanta will be exotic. I’ll let you know. If the sun shines at all, we’ll call it good.
And in case it doesn’t, I just bought a spiffy new raincoat.