We have a bag of organic Gala apples on the counter, and the collective mind of the Songbird family is turning to pie. So for this Friday, which is a holiday for us, I invite you to reflect on some kinds of pie: love them? hate them? neutral? Share a story about a special pie in your life.
1) Apple Pie–The men in my life all love apple pie. I prefer a crumb topping, but they like piecrust all the way, baby. Best apple pie story is this: when I was quite pregnant with #2 Son, his dad and I did a lot of cooking and filled the freezer for those hectic days to come. This included some extremely nice apple pies. When the baby was about a month old, my in-laws were over for dinner, and I suggested we get a pie out of the freezer. My father-in-law, who is a bit of a food snob, seemed to be resistant to eating the pie, but politely took a piece. After the first bite, his face lit up. “This is surprisingly good,” he remarked. “Thanks a lot!” I replied. Turns out he thought since it came out of the freezer it was a Mrs. Smith’s.
2) Cherry Pie–bleh. I’m just not that into cherries.
3) Pumpkin Pie–Aren’t they wonderful? The first pumpkin pie I made was a revelation. I couldn’t believe that mess of ingredients would actually come together to be a pie.
4) Chocolate Cream Pie–At the last church supper, one of the ladies sent in her famous chocolate cream pie, the kind that isn’t just sloppy pudding with Cool Whip on top, but a real pie with a homemade crust and decorative whipped topping of a substantial nature. Sadly, it was delivered late and never sliced. Happily, it was still around the next day and someone said, “Reverend Songbird, don’t you want to take the pie home?” Yum yum!!
5) Pecan Pie–Served at every Christmas dinner of my life until I moved away from my home state of Virginia. I never appreciated it as a child, but now I enjoy a very small piece.
Bonus Question: Do you have a favorite kind of pie not on this admittedly short list?
I love Key Lime Pies.